Christmas Safty Tips

December 7, 2012

Choose toys that are right for the child’s age. Be sure to read and follow all warnings and instructions that come with the toy.
•Toys with small loose parts can be dangerous for children under three years of age. Keep them out of reach.
•Make sure batteries in toys are properly installed and not accessible to the child. Do not let children take battery-operated toys to bed.
•Throw out all packing materials like Styrofoam pellets, ties, plastic bags and wrapping as soon as possible. Children can choke or suffocate on them.
•Before using a cosmetic gift for the first time, do a patch test to check if you are sensitive or allergic to something in the cosmetic. To do a test, follow these instructions:
1.Clean a small area of skin behind your ear or on the inside of your forearm.
2.Apply a small amount of the cosmetic and allow it to dry.
3.After 24 hours, wash the area gently with soap and water.
The cosmetic should not be used anymore if the area is red, itchy, burning or blistering.
•Put cosmetic products away and out of the sight and reach of young children after opening them. Some cosmetics are toxic to young children.

•Never leave burning candles unattended.
•Keep burning candles out of the reach of children and away from pets, tree decorations or wrapping paper.
•Cut candle wicks short to prevent a high flame.
•If candles are used in a centrepiece, make sure they don’t burn low enough to ignite decoration.
•Use sturdy candle holders that won’t easily tip over.

•Always use a secure, manufacturer recommended screen in front of your fireplace.
•Have the chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year. This is to help prevent chimney fires. Some chimneys may need more frequent cleaning depending on use.
•Burn hardwood, which will leave less creosote (a flammable dark residue produced by burning wood) in the chimney.
•Never burn wood that has been painted or chemically treated
•Make sure the fire is out before going to bed or before going out.
•Make sure that the chimney is working well so that wood smoke does not come into the room.
•Keep children away from gas fireplaces. When in use, the glass doors can become and stay hot even after use; hot enough to cause serious burns.
•Alarms and Detectors save lives: make sure to have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
If young children are going to be visiting over the holidays, make sure your house is safe for them by covering electrical outlets, barring stairwells and removing furniture and decorations that may be hazardous to children.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: